Monday, January 09, 2006

ER Visit

Ok, so I am 31 and have never had to visit an emergency room for myself ever. Not one broken bone growing up, no appendicitis, no major wounds....nothing, zilch, nada, zip. And quite honestly, I would have preferred keeping it that way forever!

So, because I went hiking on Friday I aggravated my asthma. Keeping in mind that I haven't had an issue with asthma or bronchitis in over 7 years, and I have never had an asthma attack. On Saturday I was having a little bit of shortness of breath, didn't think anything of it since it didn't seem to be a big deal. On Saturday night, I couldn't sleep a wink as it was hard to draw in breath...finally got up at 5am and sat on the couch and tried to sleep sitting up. On Sunday, catching my breath was getting really hard, and it was starting to make me panic; however, as someone who doesn't have insurance, doesn't have money and doesn't think to highly of going to the doctor...I put it off and thought that taking a nap would make me feel better.

Woke up at 5:30 yesterday (Sunday) and felt so bad, my chest hurt, my throat hurt, I couldn't breathe (deep or otherwise)...it just felt so bad. And not only couldn't I breathe, but my whole body hurt. I'm not sure if that was from me trying to breathe and my muscles all over were working overtime or what. But shoulders hurt, my head hurt, everything....

The lovely people I live with said I'm taking you to the ER...this time I didn't argue. I spent from 6pm--10:30 in the ER on Sunday...talk about not fun. Two respitory treatments, one strep test, and one chest x-ray later I was finally able to go home. So what was the dianosis? A severe bronchial asthmatic attack.

Not being able to breathe was probably one of the scariest things I've been through. Because even in scary situations, you are able to breathe.

So, I went to bed round bout midnight (after going to get prescriptions, having to come home and eat so that I could take my prednisone steroid pills) and slept until 11:30 this morning. I feel so much better, and will never take for granted the ability to breathe. I am just taking it easy today by laying around and watching tv.

Psalm 150:6 "Let everything that has breath praise the LORD! Praise the LORD!"

2 comments:

Cagle Clan said...

Scary! I'm so glad you are OK!

MKD said...

Rachel! I'm sorry to hear that! I hear ya about not wanting to go to the ER since they like the whole insurance thing!! glad you feel better and what a Perfect scripture!