Tuesday, February 28, 2006

I Corinthians 13

A great devotional mechanism that my church, Puyallup Foursquare, uses is S.O.A.P. Which stands for Scripture, Observation, Application, and Prayer. We corporately read through the Bible in a years time, and part of our reading came out of I Corinthians today. I just wanted to share with you what I got out of it, and pray that it helps you somewhere in your Christian walk.

S: I Corinthians 13:8a & 13, "Love never fails. And now these three remain: faith, hope, and love. But the greatest of these is love."

O: Love is the grandest of all--loves saves, by the blood of Jesus Christ. Love heals--by the stripes of Jesus Christ. Love overlooks and understands all--by the grace and mercy of Jesus Christ.

A: If love is the grandest factor--and not just a mere emotion--why is it the hardest thing to achieve in my life? Why is it so hard to love family that seems abnormal--but in truth just needs that extra dose of love? Why is it so hard to love those friends or acquaintances that God has given me--but in truth just need an extra dose of love? Why is it so hard to love the lost, the blind, the seeking--when in truth they just need to see love, perhaps for the very first time in their life?

Is it selfishness that keeps me from loving as I should? Is it laziness? Is it pride? Do I feel as if I give love--but in reality it is superficial? What questions to ask, and to truly search my heart expecting God to answer!

P: Lord, thank you that the greatest "emotion" is love and that You give it so freely and to those who are unworthy--me being one who is unworthy of such love. Yet You look to the heart and see what is truly there--what is truly the lifeblood of our lives, our very souls! I pray that when You search my heart that You would find love--not just for You, as I love You above all things--but love for family, friends, church members, and more importantly the lost, the blind, the deaf/mute, the seeking! The ones who You want to bring into Your overwhelming love. I pray for divine appointments to reach out and love people. Just because I am no longer on the "mission field" in SE Asia, I am still on the mission field of God's eternal quest to share His love, mercy and grace to lost and hurting generations. Shame on me if I miss any opportunity to share the Love of Jesus Christ! Love never fails!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Rachel I really enjoyed reading that! Thank you for sharing! It is definitely a challenge to truly love those that God has put into our life. Thanks for the reminder of how necessary it is! - christina