Saturday, December 13, 2014

Moving On

Have you ever had a best friend of the opposite sex?  Do people look at you funny and think that there must be something more going on then just friendship?

Has that best friend ever moved away?

That's where I'm at right now...

My best friend is moving on Monday and even though I've known about this move for months and I know beyond a shadow of doubt that it is the best decision for him I'm struggling because well, my best friend is moving away.  No longer will he be around to chat with.  No more Saturdays spent watching sports on my TV!  No more dinners out.  No more face-to-face convos. 

I know we are still friends.  I know he tells me nothing will change.

Yet...

I'm not sure I believe him.  I'm not sure that the texts, the phone calls and what not will slowly fade away.  I know these thoughts come out of my own damn insecurity.  I guess I'm just hurting and unsure where we go from here. 

1 comment:

Kelley with Amy's Angels said...

I saw your updates this morning and wanted to send you a note of encouragement.

Try having a best friend of the opposite sex--who lives in New Zealand! Yep. We met working at a summer camp in 2002 (I worked full time/year round, he was seasonal). For three summers he came back to camp and during the off season he traveled and camped at my house. People thought we were together because heaven forbid a man and a woman be friends. The only thing we ever did was hug. But life goes on and he decided not to come back to camp, and instead travel the world.

It does happen. People move...friendships change....and as much as we don't want them to change, they do.

And it sucks.

While we don't talk as much as we used to, I still make it a point on his birthday and Christmas to still send a card (actual, handwritten--no facebook posts!). When funny things happen that remind me of him, I send him a text.

Even though it is one sided. Yep. I don't often get cards from him or texts first. I'm usually the initiator. But I knew that going into this. I knew he was not the jot an e-mail to say hi, person.

It is hard.
And it hurts.
You feel as if you have a hole in your heart that can never be refilled.
It is love--but a different kind of love that a lot of people don't get.
It's also finding a new normal. That, I think, is the hardest part.

Thinking of you! :)
Kelley