Friday, January 06, 2006

Kickin' Butt!


Since I am not working, it is a perfect opportunity to join in some of our Masters Commission activities. Fridays are what we call Family Day, as we do some activity together as a family. One activity that is done numerous times throughout the year is hiking. This is in order to get trained for climbing a Mountain in May (2 day event, and they try to reach the summit of some great mountain around WA State).

We went hiking today in North Bend, to a place called Twin Falls. OMG....I am so dreadfully out of shape and unprepared for hiking mountains. My goal was to finish strong! Which I did! But goodnes, my feet are killing me right now. I was all prepared to share with you the agony of hiking; however, I want you all to know that if I can hike almost 5 miles, then you can too. It may seem like agony at the beginning, and each step is harder to take, yet when you look back at what you accomplished everything doesn't seem so hard.

It was beautiful when we got to the bridge that spans the river and then to look up at the falls....beautiful creation of God. As the psalmist says, "Deep calls to deep in the roar of your waterfalls; all your waves and breakers have swept over me." Psalm 42:7

On our way back down, everyone on the hike participates in building a monument of thankfulness to God. Each person finds a rock, we find a place to build our monument, then we go around and explain why you chose that rock and what you are thankful for and then place the rock on the monument. I wasn't clearly aware of what and why we were doing this; however, God showed me truth even in the simplicity of picking out a rock to express my thankfulness. My rock was one of those that you need to kick at with your heel to loosen it from the dirt and then you wiggle it back and forth until it is loose enough to come out. My words of thankfulness? Thankful that God kicks me in the butt, and digs me out of the dirt in order to see me succeed. Isn't God good, in that He wants us to succeed to our highest ability

Even if you don't have the chance to go out and hike 5 miles today, take a moment to stop and reflect on the creation around us that God has given us for our pleasure and in turn His pleasure at seeing His children content.

2 comments:

Cagle Clan said...

Good job!!! That's great encourgament for all of us, thank you.

Anonymous said...

Great Post Rachel. It makes me miss WA and it's views. My office in WA faced Mt Rainier, I would stare out the window in awe. Now my office faces a field, I know stare at longhorns. Just not the same. Keep up the great posts!