Monday, March 20, 2006

PBR....


....the toughest sport on dirt!

I'm not much of a sports watcher. I don't get into football, basketball, and baseball; however, you bring around the boys of the Professional Bull Riders (PBR) and my eyes light up like its Christmastime. So most of you are thinking...she's just watching because the cowboys are cute and they look good in their wranglers. Well yes, that is one reason I watch :) However, I truly love the sport of bull riding. It is fascinating to me how a man can get up on a mean nasty looking tough bull week after week and ride for eight seconds. The get dumped on their heads, knocked off on their keisters, and who knows what else happens...yet they dust themselves off and away they go again. Our family has been watching bull riding since I was a little kid, going to local rodeos to watch one of my uncles ride. It's in my blood!

Working for KMPS I get tickets into events that we are working at, so we were set up at the Tacoma Dome on Sunday for the PBR. We sat in the "Built Ford Tough Tailgate Section". Which means that we were directly down from the shoots (where the riders come out) with a clear view of all that was happening. We had great comfortable stadium type seats. AWESOME! The cool thing about watching the rides on Sunday is that you get to watch the final round of 15 riders that were the best from Saturday and Sunday...so about 3 hours of bull riding.



This is Sean Willingham who beat everyone to take home all the money yesterday.



This is Jody Newberry who took second.

The way the PBR works though is by a points system, so even though these two came in first and second the top spot in the Ford Series is Adriano Moraes, a bull rider from Brazil, who is absolutely amazing.

The best part? As we were leaving ALL the boys were walking around signing autographs, and since we were already down on the concourse where they were walking I just stayed right were I was and got an autograph from every single rider who came out. It was cool. If you have never watched the PBR, check out the OLN (Outdoor Life Network) station and check it out.

1 comment:

MKD said...

You are a true cowgirl Rachel! YOu cinched it by saying you love Bull Riding for me! You'd never see me on a bull for any amount of money, but I know its SUPER popular & I'm glad I didn't have to drive thru the traffic after that event.
Glad you had a good time & snagged a ton of autographs. Being in radio does have its perks! :)