Thursday, October 20, 2005

What to do when things go awry!

For all of you that help run any type of program within a church, you understand all the details that must go into planned events. Especially events that involving feeding mass number of people.

Last night our MC class had our beginning of the year banquet. We had about 120 people in attendance, and had our dinner catered from a great Teriyaki place in Puyallup. However, to our surprise, they packaged each dinner individually when we had planned a buffet style dinner. Feeding people individual dinners doesn't really work when you don't know if you will have enough or not. So once our food arrived (a tad late...all right quite late), we formed an assembly line. Boys carried bags of food into the hallway of the church, people opening the bags, people combining the salads, someone opening the boxes, myself emptying the rice and and more separating the meat. Then we had to cart it back down to where we were eating. Oh my, what a fiasco. But for those who have done MC, and really anyone...the key word I have be for years is "FLEXIBILITY". Can you imagine the chaos of last night?

All in all, it was a great night to visit with students, host familes and "real" families. Even though I didn't really get to visit with anyone!

4 comments:

blessed girl said...

Ahhh! I can imagine the chaos!

--April

Sabrina said...

Yummm...Teriyaki! We finally got our first Teriyaki place in Roseburg! I am so glad, b/c on every corner in maple valley are Teriyaki joints! Makes me hungry thinking about it all!

Potts Family 5 said...

I remember those crazy moments. Now mine or more like - Gracie yelling, "done!" Hudson yelling "Mom, I need your help!" and me trying to explain Math to Malacai. No matter the number there are still chaotic moments!

MKD said...

You know I wondered why the rice had the sauce on it already... :)