Friday, April 21, 2006

Weird People.....

....most of you know (and if you didn't, you do now!) that I work for KMPS Radio. We are out of Seattle and play country music. So my job is Promotional Assistant. Which basically means that I go to events in and around Puget Sound and hang out at our booth talking with people that come up, hand out stickers, and get them to enter whatever contest we are having. I have been working with KMPS for four years now; however, when I hired on no one told me about the people that come up to talk with you!

IF THIS IS YOU.....I APOLOGIZE IN ADVANCE!!!!

There are some totally weird individuals that go to events and talk to me about nothing for 15, 20 even 30, 40 minutes. Do these people not have a life? Do they think it is cool to visit a radio booth and talk to an individual that isn't even a DJ for more than 10 minutes? And the things they talk about!?! Good gravy...I don't want to hear about your dog! I don't want to hear about the Jerry Springer episode that your family is going through! I don't want to hear about how you know this artist or that artist! (I know more than you, so let's not count!) I don't want to know that you met your spouse through KMPS, when KMPS thought it was a good idea to have a "Dating Service" of somekind.

I want to have normal conversations. Like Hi, where are you from? Are you having fun tonight? Answer a few questions about who sings what song, when is this person coming in concert, when is this CD out, and other normal entertainment gossip. If we've really hit it off, then maybe we'll chat for 15 minutes; however, after that...please move on to the next event! The only people that should be hanging around me for more than 15 minutes are those people that I actually know. My family! My church family members! The Graver boys who visit me every year at the fair (love them!). People that I grew up with (maybe).

Do you get the point? Do I make myself clear? I just had to say something because I was working by myself tonight and the same guy came up to my booth 3 times. The first time he was there about 20 minutes...mind you he was enticed into a conversation he didn't want with the garbage pick up guy about cars (I tuned them out at one point), BUT he came back!!!! And was this guy with other people? Nope, he was walking around the fair by himself (which I don't have a problem with as I do lots of activities by myself). Was he cute? Of course not! He was your typical redneck guy with grungy cowboy clothes on and in need of a dentist. Please don't get me wrong, I am not looking for perfection in the people who come up and talk to me, but couldn't I get someone who was somewhat cute and that I could possibly daydream about once he walked his cute little wrangler butt away from my booth? Is that too much to ask for?

Anyway.....if you feel the need to come and talk with me at the Puyallup Spring Fair, I'll be there Friday night, Saturday night and all day Sunday. We are set up by the extrem scream. I won't be hard to miss....I'll be the one talking while my eyes are glazed over and I have this "please help me" look on my face!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Like Hi, where are you from? Are you having fun tonight? Who is your favorite artist?

Thought I would give it a try Rachel!

Cagle Clan said...

I'm scared to talk to you now!!! :) Although....I have been told my butt looks cute in Wranglers....would that help?
Jess :)

Rachel Ann said...

You two are comedians!

Jay--hopefully I'll have more fun tonight. Even though I'm sure more crazies will be out because it is Friday. And my favorite artist is Toby Keith.

Jess--even though I was thinking about boys in wranglers (I'll have to ask John how you look in wranglers). I'd definitely talk to you though any day!!

Happy Friday!!!

MKD said...

Oh Man Rachel...I hear you about the whole hanging out with the promo people thing. I really do think people think that the promo people are actually radio people.. Which would be nice now wouldn't it? But I can see your frustration! There is some sort of glamour attached to radio stations, but in actuality, its a dirty job!! Wish I could see you at the fair!! See you on sunday probably!

Cagle Clan said...

OK..so I have to admit, I don't own any wranglers anymore....left 'em all back in Montana! But I still think my booty would look cute in them! HaHa! :)