Sunday, May 21, 2006

"Under Construction"--Leaving a Legacy

Our pastor is preaching a series right now titled, "The Making of Living Memoirs." The first thing you need to remember is that inheritance is what you receive and legacy is what you leave behind. The word of the year for our church is, "Legacy". What am I, and you, going to leave behind to the next generation? Great question to think on. Am I going to leave a legacy of helping others reach their dreams, doing the will of God, sharing love and mercy or am I going to leave behind a legacy of bitterness, negativity and complaining?

The question asked today was, "What is the sign on the front yard of your life?" For Sale by Owner? Hope not! He said the sign that should be there is "Under Construction", that way when people say something that alludes to you not making the mark you can reply, "Yep, I'm under construction and still learning from my Maker!" He is constantly working on our lives, molding as the master potter. We are not perfect, nor will we ever be perfect, but isn't great to know that we are Under Construction. And that God is constantly molding us and perfecting us to be His image here on Earth to a lost and seeking generation.

The other main point that he has been making throughout this series is: "At the heart level, concede the non-essentials for the sake of the imperative." Don't sweat the small stuff. Are there things in life that we get upset over, that if we were to step back and evaluate we would find that it is just a small blip on the big radar? I am so guilty of this. I constantly make small trivial matters into major upsets, and in turn it stresses me out and leads me away from what God is either trying to teach me or what He is trying to lead me into. Then I get discouraged because I feel like I failed, and once discouragement comes loss of hope isn't far behind and then I start leaving my dreams and desires along the wayside of life. That isn't how God wants me to live! He wants me to live victorious...get ahold of the big picture again. Hold onto the hope, visions, dreams and live like God wants me to. The small stuff doesn't matter in the long run!

I have to constantly remind myself what my dreams and visions are. Do you know what the dreams are for your life? Do you dream big? Do you see the impossible coming true for your life? For your spouse? For your children?

I dream of seeing young people ministering the Word of God, after I have helped led them into their dreams and visions. I dream of raising children to know who God is, even if these children aren't of my own flesh. I still am a Mother even without experiencing childbirth. I dream of standing in other countries spreading the love of God and letting people know the truth, and seeing chains of despair fall off. I dream of simply loving God and loving people. Do you know that I have started to see these dreams come true? I have stood in other countries and told people about the love of God!! I have helped in the background of discipleship programs that charge young people to go out into the world. I have children all over the world--I have influenced kids since I was 10 years old...that is 22 years of sharing a part of me into children that then go and influence others. What a legacy I am leaving behind.

I'll leave you with this thought: There are two dates on your tombstone that you cannot influence, the day you are born and the day you die. The one thing on your tombstone that you can influence is the dash between the dates. What did you do during that time period that left a legacy? That influenced others? That shared the love of Christ? That spoke truth even when it hurt? That lent a helping hand, a shoulder to cry on and a compassionate spirit. I can make a difference during that period of the dash---Can you????

1 comment: