Monday, May 01, 2006

Happy May Day!





I know it is late, but Happy May Day to you all!

I have been substituting in the elementary schools the last week or so, and it brings back great memories of when I was a kid. I always remember making baskets of flowers for May Day. I would either leave them on our front porch for my Mom to find or I would leave them on the front porch of our neighbor Marie. Marie was this wonderfully kind older lady who was married to Wendell. When I met this couple at the age of four, they were already in their late 50's possibly into their 60's, and retired. They were both Norwegian, spoke the language, cooked the food and were just simply kind to this small child constantly in their home. It was one of those houses that I walked past the front window to get to the door, and if they were sitting in their chairs I would just walk in to visit with them. I ate dinner over there many many nights. I made untold number of cookies with Marie, and Wendell taught me how to swear in Norwegian when I was 6 or 7. I spent the night over there, I learned how to cross stitch there and I learned the value of appreciating an older generation of people. We eventually moved away, and they eventually moved back to the Midwest. They are both gone now, but they will always be remembered!



Happy May Day!

1 comment:

MKD said...

We had a neighbor lady like that too growing up. We always hung out there playing with her grand kids in the blackberry bushes. She taught us how to eat mint off the vine & to rub other herbs leaves to smell them. She had such a neat house I thought at the time. they had this light switch in the bathroom where the switch was a man's special place!!! And they had silver & black wall paper in one part of their house.
When they died & were selling stuff out of the house we went over there recently & it all came flooding back.... Needless to say I didn't buy the lightswitch.