Saturday, July 28, 2007

Final Book of Harry Potter

For those of you who aren't fanatics like me concerning the outcome of Harry, Ron and Hermione you probably didn't know that the final book was released last weekend! I, of course, knew and went and bought my book last Saturday. However, due to my need to get schoolwork done and not wanting to start the book until I had time to sit down for HOURS on end and read I waited until Thursday night to start this the final book in the Harry Potter series.

I started on Thursday night, read for three or four hours and then I finished up last night with another four hours of reading (789 pages). This book was fantastic...it was a book that started with action from the get-go and didn't stop until the last page. It is sad to think that there will be no more stores of Harry and his friends, but I can see where writing this would be draining on J.K. Rowling. I know that there are many Christians who don't think Harry Potter is proper reading; however, as an educated individual this is probably one of the best written pieces of literature (the whole series in fact) that has been written in years! Yes, you have to understand that there is evil in these books, but isn't there evil in our actual world. I think that if you take the time to educate your children, if you have any, about the truth they will be able to read this as a fun book. As for adults, I would hope that you would know how to discern good vs. bad, and enjoy this as a piece of well-written art! I certainly enjoyed it!

Alas, I won't let you in on how the book ends and the fate of Harry. However, I will tell you that J.K. Rowling didn't lie when she said people would die in this book. As a reader of all the books, I really enjoyed that she incorporated characters from long ago...everyone had a part in the battle agains Lord Voldemort. It was fascinating to see how all the characters, main ones and minor, developed over the seven year time span of this series. I for one would love it if Rowling changed her mind and we got to read more about Harry and friends.

1 comment:

MKD said...

Well, its on my counter too! I borrowed it from a friend and intend to read it on vacation and like you, I'm sure I'll stay up for HOURS reading it non-stop because I do that with books.
Although I don't agree with the idea of witches/magic/whatever, I do agree JK Rowling is an INCREDIBLE author and I hope her talent isn't wasted by stopping her writing anytime soon. Her descriptions are phenominal and her imagination is unbelieveable. Her rags to riches story is pretty inspring. I hope I like the book. I didn't like the last one because of dumbledorf dying, but what can you do? He was getting kinda old anyway!