Monday, July 09, 2007

Milk Carton Derby Races

Here in Seattle we have something called SEAFAIR...it's a pretty big deal (although I'm not much into it)....we have hydroplane races, marathons, pirates landing and this last weekend we had the Milk Carton Derby Races at Greenlake in Seattle. I got the opportunity to watch the races as I was down there with KMPS (I work for a country music radio station). It was actually kind of fun to watch. WOW! These people really get into the spirit of things. Check out some of the boats made from Milk Cartons.

This is an amazing boat! When they got out in the water they had three little baby ducks following behind! To get into the boat they lifted the wing and crawled in....amazing what you can do with milk cartons and still stay afloat on the water!

This was probably one of my favorites....it even had smoke coming out of its nose! Where the rowers sat? I'm not sure! And I'm not sure that the people who built this are sane...that is way too much time and energy!

I saw this one and thought of my friends Ben and Heather who race jeeps with their family. Sadly, this jeep didn't make it too far once it got in the water!

I took this picture for Rodney who is a huge Seahawks fan. Again...this one didn't fly so well..it was way behind the pack. But hey hawks are supposed to be in the air not in the water!


This was the one I voted to win the KMPS "Most Country" Award. It was a wagon with horses! The wheels are the paddles and they had a little girl up on the seat pretending to drive the wagon! Way cute!

As you can see, if you are planning on entering next year's Seafair Milk Carton Derby Race you better start thinking of ideas now and building soon otherwise you are going to be blown out of the competition!

1 comment:

Potts Family 5 said...

Hi Rachel -
Where do people get all that time? I agree they must be a little crazy! It looks like fun to watch though. I read on someone's blog that you were at GHCC. I'm sad that I missed you. Hopefully, next time!