Friday, October 03, 2008

How Can Books be Banned?

A new blog that I found yesterday through The Secret is in the Sauce blog is The Tale of a Kansas Girl....you have to go check her out she is hilarious! Besides her personal blog she also has a book nook blog that she contributes to and they did a post on banned books and she listed the books she had read off of the list...

She posted it because this week is (Explore) Banned Book Week....

I thought it would be interesting to check out the 100 Most Challenged Books of 1990--2000, which gives you the top 100 books "challenged" throughout a mere 10 year span. This doesn't even count the books banned before this time period...how many have read 1984 or Catch 22 or The Grapes of Wrath or The Call of the Wild? I HAVE!!!! Here are the books I have actually read off the challenged list:


5. The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain
6. Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck
7. Harry Potter (Series) by J.K. Rowling
8. Forever by Judy Blume
21. The Great Gilly Hopkins by Katherine Paterson
22. A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle
23. Go Ask Alice by Anonymous
32. Blubber by Judy Blume
38. Julie of the Wolves by Jean Craighead George
43. The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton
51. A Light in the Attic by Shel Silverstein
56. James and the Giant Peach by Roald Dahl
62. Are You There, God? It's Me, Margaret by Judy Blume
84. The Adventures of Tom Sawyer by Mark Twain
96. How to Eat Fried Worms by Thomas Rockwell

And these ones are books that I have read snippets of over the years:

13. The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger
16. Goosebumps (Series) by R.L. Stine
18. The Color Purple by Alice Walker
41. To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
70. Lord of the Flies by William Golding

What is funny to me is that most of these books that I've read off this list were books I read as a youngster...well before ending elementary school...I mean come on why are you putting the Judy Blume books on this list? As a future teacher and a book enthusiast (At this point in my life there is probably hundreds of books in my possession) I find it hard to imagine that anyone could make the decision to ban a book and deem it inappropriate for any reader. I believe that there are books that shouldn't be read by younger children, but that is a decision that needs to be made between the parent and the child...only they can determine their maturity level, their level of comprehension and then factoring in their beliefs about the types of material in books. If I have children I don't ever want them to feel as if they can't read a book because someone has determined it to be..."inappropriate"! I also want to know what are the guidelines that are followed in determining what books should be banned? Hmmmm...inquiring minds want to know!

How do you feel about this? What books have you read off this list?

“[I]t's not just the books under fire now that worry me. It is the books that will never be written. The books that will never be read. And all due to the fear of censorship. As always, young readers will be the real losers.” ~~Judy Blume



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Why are Judy Blume books on a banned list??? I grew up with her books! And to Kill a Mockingbird is an American classic and one of my favorites. I've read most of the books you've listed and most when I was a kid...I was lucky, my sister read several of these with me and helped me understand them. You're right, this is something between parents and their kids!
Susana