Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Trivia



So some of you know that I am known to many as Random Rachel. This is because I have this store of useless knowledge and trivia lurking around in my brain ready to pop out at any time. Usually in the midst of great conversations, something that someone says will spark something in my brain and I will then start spouting off trivia...needless to say I LOVE trivia.

I came across this trivia blog and it is just full of trivia and stuff that I can store away for a later day. It is amazing what a person's brain can store. So a few trivia notes about the Eiffel Tower:

1. Did you know that the base of the tower is two and a half acres of land? Amazing

2. It is only painted once every seven years....using 50 tons of paint!

One of my favorite holidays is Halloween (yes, I know I heard the groaning from all my church friends...but oh well)....so here is a little trivia about the jack-o-lantern:

During the 1800’s, immigrants from the Irish Potato Famine brought their use of this lantern. Back then, pumpkins were not used. A burning lump of coal was placed inside a hollowed out turnip, potato, or beet. These were left on doorsteps to ward off evil spirits and to welcome the souls of a departed loved one. The pumpkin didn’t begin to be used until the Victorian Era.

Could you imagine if we were still leaving candles in a hollowed out turnip? Weird.

So I'll leave you with these two interesting tidbits about M&M's:

* In 1976, red M&Ms were removed from packages because the red dye used to color them caused reactions in some people. In 1987, by popular demand, red M&Ms were back.

* In 1997, a personality was given to the green M&M. It is the only female in the color mix. She is a modern woman and all of the male M&Ms love her.

Check this site out...it is totally fascinating. Maybe one day you and I can have a random rachel conversation!

No comments: