Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Dilemma

So I was offered a long term sub position today...lasting at least three weeks, if not more. However, I had to face some decisions when looking at whether to take it or not. It is for a tribal school (nothing against tribal schools); however, the way their kids act...even to regular teachers is very hard for me to take. They are very disrespectful, rude, sometimes physically violent and their is way too much leniency on the adult side towards these kids. It is a very hard place to teach. I love kids, and I want to help them, but I'm not ready to be in a place that there isn't at the very least respect for any adults.

So after thinking about it all day, and talking it over with a few people, I decided to not take it. I have been very busy this year with my other district, Sumner, and I feel that after this week's WASL testing is done that I will be busy for the rest of the year. There were a few other factors that played a part in my decision as well...one being that Sumner pays more per day and isn't as far to drive. And I am so close to accruing the needed days this year for a bonus...one that will come in handy when I move in a few months.

There are so many hard decisions in life, but I feel confident that this was a right decision. And I'm not comprimising any of my educator core values (and personal Christian core values) by teaching somewhere full time that doesn't hold to what I believe.

1 comment:

MKD said...

My friend's mother works there. I'm not sure what grade she teaches (elementary for sure) but if you see Mrs. Call say HI for me!!!