Tuesday, August 07, 2007

The Human Calculator

On my way down to my Mom's house I was flipping through various radio stations looking for something to listen to when this math guy caught my ear. A radio station was doing this interview with some guy who has come up with a new way of doing math...it was incredible I tell you!!

FIrst of all you have to restructure your thinking to revolve around the number 9. Counting on your fingers? Start with 0 and go to 9....all numbers revolve around 9. How do you check this? For example: 65.....add the 6 and 5 which equals 11....subtract that from 65 which gives you 54....5 plus 4 is...9!!!!

He also explained how to add numbers in columns without doing it the long way with pencil and carrying numbers over to the next column!!! He was fascinating. I really like learning how to add numbers up without a pencil....quite convenient if you ask me! Anyway, if you want to check him out yourself go to his website where he touts himself as the human calculator.

No comments: